The Kids

The Kids

Sunday, November 8, 2009

Slow down baby boy...

Ethan walked into my bedroom tonight while I was making my bed... he was talking about how he was getting bigger. I agree with him that he was getting bigger...

He said that he was getting bigger and more grown up. I agreed that he was getting bigger and more grown up...

He said that pretty soon he was going to be bigger and more grown up than Sean. I stated the obvious that because he was older he would always be bigger and more grown up than Sean but that Sean would also continue to grow bigger and (hopefully) continue to grow up...

He said that he would be more grown up first and that he would get to do whatever he wants like stay up late and drive a car and go wherever he wants whenever he wants...

What?!? Is this the public school system talking?!? First it's nuts and now my baby boy wants to grow up and drive cars and move out?!? Some days I pray for this, but today is not one of those days!

I decided to push him off of his soap box and reminded him of all the 'un-fun' stuff that is all too 'grown up'... ie. paying bills, cleaning, buying your own food, paying for that car, cooking your own food, everything that moms and dads do for kids that kids don't think about...

He didn't hear me... he was rambling about how he was going to be grown up before Sean and he was going to have kids first and his own house first, etc, etc. He was going to be just like Daddy.

It was at 'kids' that I realized that I wasn't going to try and justify or explain anything else... he was five and I was sliding into a twelve year old conversation... I simply ended it with, "Yes, you are going to grow up one day." Enough said.

1 comment:

Aunt Anne said...

It's hard to believe that almost 6 years ago, he was so tiny. He is growing up and quickly. Aunt Anne is very proud of both the boys and loves them very much,.