The Kids

The Kids

Saturday, July 25, 2009

Poor Bala Shark...

I came downstairs this evening and happened to look in at the fish in the fish tank (We've got a 75 gallon tank)... I was talking on the phone and noticed that our 7 inch Bala Shark has a rock stuck in his mouth. I got off the phone and assessed the situation. He must have sucked it in and then it flipped in his mouth... it wasn't coming out. I caught him in the net to take a closer look... he must have sucked it in while I was netting him.

I racked my brain to figure out how to handle the situation... Ethan was freaking out. I ran out to the truck to grab a pair of rounded tweezers and instead came back with a pair of needle nose pliers. I thought back to when a hook was caught in a fish we caught as a kid... my grandpa would always use needle nose pliers to get it out. I caught our shark and carefully tried grasping the rock with the pliers... no luck. This time I accidently pushed it in a little farther. I had no idea what to do... so I called my mom.

I told her I didn't know any 'fish people' and had no idea how to handle this... she suggested tipping him upside down and dunking him up and down in the water to try and dislodge the rock. I tried it... no luck. She suggested holding from his tail and dunking him up and down. I tried it... no luck. She suggested trying to squeeze his body gently starting from his tail and work up to the gills to try and push it out. I tried it... no luck.

At this point, I felt horrible that I had tried to help the poor guy. Ethan was so upset. I explained to him that there was a chance that God wants our fish for his fish pond in heaven... Ethan just sobbed. I told him that it would be a great place for our fish because the water is really blue and clear. It would be very nice. He calmed down a bit. I said a few prayers. Mr. Shark was a good fish!

No comments: